For twenty three years, I sat courtside at the old Boston Garden as photographer for the Boston Celtics.


I'm in the process of creating a book about my experiences in the Garden (working title - Boston Garden: From Where I Sat)


See a large selection of my classic NBA photos and more Click Here




Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Red Auerbach


I once saw an interview with Yousuf Karsh, perhaps the greatest portrait photographer of the 20th Century. You've seen his portraits of Churchill, Hemingway and many others.

There’s was something that he said that was very simple but stuck with me.
He said that his photographs captured the reaction and attitude of his subjects to him at that moment.


That helps to explain why the above photo means so much to me.
 

Red Auerbach savors Celtics road victory of the Philadelphia 76ers to force a seventh game of the 1982 NBA Eastern Finals.


I had a matter of fact attitude toward the many famous people that I met and photographed, but not with Red. I was conscious that I was a witness to history and valued every moment with him. I knew, sadly, that Red and the Boston Garden wouldn't always be with us. 

Even though the team had no need, at the time, for me to take this photo, Red indulged me. I knew that I had to have Red, the banners and the parquet together.



No comments:

Post a Comment